Sunday, July 12, 2009

Biking is like Life


I have a hard time breathing. I could blame it on my reduced lung capacity but the truth is I'm a mouth breather. I never got the concept of breathing through your nose, it just doesn't seem to do the trick for me. In fact when I first start riding I tend to hyperventilate, and there is no way my cute little shnoz is gonna bring in enough air to satisfy me. Once I relax, it seems to work itself out unless of course it is a day like today with a face full of wind which only enhances the breathing issue. So I consciously have to force myself to relax, and in so doing, I came to realize that biking is a great life metaphor.
You wake up being hopeful, you slip into clothing ( probably too tight, but its the fashion), you slather on some cream and then you head out into the world hoping for the best.
You start at a good speed moving forward, nodding at people that pass as if to say good morning. Quickly you realize that today may not be exactly what you expect. Unexpected turbulence (wind) knocks you around and you may even feel like you are stuck in the same place. Other people keep moving passing you by, but you just don't seem to have the rhythm it takes to get yourself going. You regroup, you relax and before you know it you are in a groove.
You're moving, oh yeah, you are really moving. And then it happens, you hit a pothole and you are stopped dead in your tracks. A frigging flat, just after you were so sure that you were finally in the zone.
Yes today after about 26kms I ended up on the curb waiting for my lift home. It made me realize that I was somewhat envious of Lance Armstrong. I don't mean winning the Tour 7 times, or having raised 250 million dollars for charity, or making it all look so effortless at 37.
I mean wouldn't it be great to always have a support team around you. Clearing the road of all obstacles so you can just focus on the job at hand. Wouldn't it be great to have them immediately at hand to fix the flat and get you back on your feet in a millisecond. Wouldn't it be great to have them cheering you on, telling you that you can do it, that you can reach the summit.
And then I realized I have nothing to be envious of .... I have you.
My friends and family, my own 24/7 support team. My own personal cheering squad.
Hmmmm. I guess Lance and I have a lot more in common than Cancer. We have lots of people we can count on....we're the luckiest people in the world.
In case I have not said it lately...THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment