Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I am living with cancer. There, it's been said. Not in a hushed tone, not with a sideward glance, straight out. I have had 4 surgeries: kidney, lung, lung, kidney, and I still get up and go to work every day. Last year I had the chance to ask Lance Armstrong if " There is every a day that you don't think about your cancer". He told me that for him it is possible. Well folks, not a day goes by that it is not on my mind. Does it control my life, no. I have always compared it to walking on eggshells or on really thin ice. You tread so carefully, worried that at some moment the crack will widen and you will be swallowed up. For me the greatest challenge has been to overcome the fear of making plans. It scares the hell out of me. I always feel like I am tempting fate. On the other hand, I have resisted letting Cancer control my life. In fact I paid for my last cruise at 4am in the morning on my way to the hospital, worried that if I let that opportunity pass, Cancer will have won.
So here we go again, moving forward. I have agreed to not only be an Ambassador the Lance Armstrong Ride 2009, I am committing myself to riding. This blog will follow the next 4 months of training and struggling to achieve this goal. I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that I have to be the one in control, not Cancer. I welcome you to follow along and see the journey. Incidentally, I called the blog " Going for the Yellow Jersey" because who ever raises the most money gets the symbolic yellow jersey. If you want to make a donation go to www.tourdelance.ca, if not wish me well, this road is not only long I have a feeling it will be bumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment